A unique programme building partnerships between the world of education and the world of business.
There are four ways to be involved with Young Chamber –
- as a School / College Member
- as a Young Chamber Sponsor of a School / College
- as a company offering to share their experience and expertise with students and staff
- as a sponsor of the programme
In 2017 we also introduced a Young Chamber Award at the prestigious Dorset Business Awards. The Award honours organisations which make a huge difference to young people through their engagement with schools, colleges, universities, clubs and other educational establishments, whilst helping to strengthen the link between education and business. The Young Chamber Award recognises those businesses dedicated to supporting the development of crucial interpersonal skills of young people, whilst providing invaluable career insights for them. (Entries open annually in May or June).
Find out more about the Aims and Deliverables of Young Chamber.
Once a sponsor has been found for a school or college, they can immediately start benefiting from our Young Chamber Coordinator’s unique position of being able to connect to Dorset Chamber member companies, on their behalf.
The benefits include:
- Standard Dorset Chamber membership – becoming a member immediately gives you access to networking events alongside the Dorset Chamber membership
- Joint school and sponsor press release and photograph with senior member of Dorset Chamber announcing the partnership – published in Dorset Business magazine, Dorset Chamber website and e-newsletter
- Comprehensive signposting to local apprenticeships
- Engagement with Careers & Enterprise Company and Strategy set by Compass tool
- Organised visits to businesses (max 12 students per visit)
- Promotion of events to businesses (targeted approaches via Dorset Chamber and 2 free adverts in Dorset Chamber e-newsletter)
- Inspirational talks in schools from businesses in school (max 4 per year)
- Dorset Chamber facilitated development of strategic links with up to 4 key local businesses in sectors of choice (meetings arranged and facilitated through Dorset Chamber)
- Time in industry / training for teachers / school staff (max of 4, 4x 1 or ½ day placement opportunities)
- Help with recruiting businesses for Mock Interviews (maximum of 30)
- Support in helping source employers with an in-school careers event (1 event)
- Tailored support with Governor recruitment
- Quality Assurance and follow up evaluation of activities
Optional additional services delivered by our partners Ansbury Guidance (£100 +VAT per activity)
- 1 hour workshop – CV writing and job application workshop
- 1 hour workshop – preparing for a job interview
- 1 hour workshop – exploring post-16 options
Sponsoring a school starts a process by which an organisation not only has the opportunity to create a unique relationship with a school or college, they unlock the potential for that school / college to have access to Dorset Chamber members businesses via our Coordinator. There is no shortage of businesses who are keen to give their time and share their experiences with students for the benefit of Dorset’s future workforce.
Dorset Chamber is proud that the Young Chamber programme does not rely on any public sector funding. We have created a way for schools and sponsors to have maximum benefit from the programme, whilst ultimately benefiting the students.
In January 2018 we updated and enhanced the benefits for the school / college sponsors:
- High profile listing on Young Chamber section of website with web link to sponsor and name of school
- Name of sponsor is displayed in school on certificate in public place at the school
- Guaranteed coverage of new or renewal of sponsorship in Echo publications (magazine and paper)
- Senior Dorset Chamber representative to be in any sponsor photo with school for press
- Press release on new or renewal of sponsorship prepared and submitted to local media
- Opportunity to guest blog for DCCI on importance of education/ business links
- Prominent listing each month in Dorset Business magazine on a dedicated Young Chamber page positioning Newsquest/ Echo as a Young Chamber sponsor
- Reporting of activities with school in magazine – mentioning sponsor
- Inclusion of sponsor and Young Chamber in school newsletter at least twice per year
- Opportunity to address a school assembly (optional)
- Inclusion of Young Chamber activity in internal Corporate Social Responsibility reports / Award entries
Young Chamber has been overwhelmed by the enthusiasm from the business community in Dorset to provide talks, visits, support for Mock Interviews events and Careers Fairs, to name a few activities. We are thrilled to be supported by businesses and business people who want to ‘give back’ and whose involvement is invaluable when bringing the world of work into the classroom.
We support any time and activity a business person or organisation can give to the programme through our communications channels including Young Chamber on LinkedIn, Young Chamber on Twitter and the Young Chamber newsletter. Where relevant, Dorset Chamber supports this activity through its own social media and e-newsletter channels.
If you would like to be involved in the programme with no obligation other than your time, please contact Joan Senior on 01202 714817.
Young Chamber works in strategic partnership with organisations whose vision is aligned with ours and whose input meets the overall remit of successfully running a positive initiative for the young people of Dorset.
Depending on your organisation, we can tailor sponsorship of the Young Chamber programme. If you would like to know more, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In association with